TEM114: Yuri Cataldo Quotes (TEM Short)
This TEM Short features thoughts on my favorite quotes from Yuri Cataldo in TEM113.
Yuri Cataldo, who has had success in many different fields, is the host of the Advance Your Art Podcast.
- "I was surrounded by gobs of actors, and no one wanted to be a designer, so I had access to all the professors all the time because I was the only person who was excited about it."
- "So, I actually had the idea for the Bottled Water Company on that very depressing drive back from New Jersey to Indiana. And so it took me about two years to go from that idea to actually launching the company…. In between that time, I was a waiter. I was an adjunct professor in costume design at Indiana University, also in South Bend. I worked for a TV station selling advertisements. I was a sign holder at Verizon Wireless. I did a lot of small, crappy jobs trying to pay the bills and figure out what to do next.”
- "And it was actually at my job as a TV sales rep where I learned a lot about cold calling sales, what people actually look for, what's interesting, because I spent all my time with small business owners.”
- "You need to have a reason why reporters will write about you. You could be doing cool shit in your life, but you need a reason at that moment for them to write about it, or nobody cares."
- "I don't know if I would personally want to do another Kickstarter campaign because it's 30 days of exhaustion. You have to be on it all the time, reaching out to your customers, reaching out to press. Constantly. We redid the SEO for the page all the time, and retested things, but as long as you approach it as, like, 'I'm going to test this out, see how this goes for 24 hours,' and then do it again, and then again, and then again. It's constantly tweaking.”
Show notes for all episodes of TEM including topics discussed, links to all books and websites referenced can be found at:
1. Help me get to my goal of $50 per episode on Patreon by pledging as little as $1 per episode to support the show: https://www.patreon.com/tempodcast.
2. Thanks to everyone who helped me get to my goal of 50 ratings on iTunes! I appreciate it very much!
And finally, a huge thank you to Parker Mouthpieces for providing the hosting for TEM.
Produced by Andrew Hitz