TEM126: Cathy Heller on getting a major record deal yet still failing, being analytical about your approach to the music business and persevering until you close the gap
Cathy Heller is a hugely successful singer-songwriter, the owner of Catch the Moon Music and the mother of three children under the age of six (!) living in LA.
What You'll Learn:
- How getting two different major record deals in LA still didn’t lead to any commercial success for Cathy
- How cycling through “real” jobs for two years helped her realize that she had to be true to herself and make music for a living
- The very thorough research method she used to get her songs successfully placed on television and film
- The various things she offers today including her own agency, an online course and a podcast “Don’t Keep Your Day Job” which is all about reverse-engineering your dream job (which led to a book deal with a major publisher)
- Why intentionally writing for commercial success is not selling out
- How the key to commercial success in business is making something that someone else wants
- Why self-perception is such a powerful thing and can easily derail even the most successful person
- How ever though a stadium full of people listen to each episode of her podcast, she really is only talking to one person at a time
- A songwriting exercise she does to help get ideas out (which is applicable to anyone doing anything)
- The importance of sticking with something until you can close “the gap”
Show notes for all episodes of TEM including topics discussed, links to all books and websites referenced can be found at:
1. Help me get to my goal of $50 per episode on Patreon by pledging as little as $1 per episode to support the show: https://www.patreon.com/tempodcast.
2. Thanks to everyone who helped me get to my goal of 50 ratings on iTunes! I appreciate it very much!
And finally, a huge thank you to Parker Mouthpieces for providing the hosting for TEM.
Produced by Andrew Hitz