TEM150: How to 10x your progress and moving on quickly from your bad ideas - A conversation with Modacity's Marc Gelfo
Marc Gelfo is the CEO and co-founder of Modacity,
I can't believe we made it to 150 episodes together! Thank you to each and every one of you for listening and for giving TEM your attention. I wouldn't have made it past the 10th episode without you!
Next stop: 200!
What You'll Learn:
- How Marc used his experiences with cognitive science to approach practicing his horn more efficiently
- The need for an embouchure change after Marc was already making a living as a professional horn player that inspired him to create software to help himself and others practice more efficiently
- How different his first idea in this space was compared to what Modacity is today
- The startup accelerator he joined in Silicon Valley that really forced him to question whether his ideas were viable business ideas
- Why you need to kill your bad ideas as fast as you possibly can (and how to go about starting that process if you're not good at it)
- The difference between visionaries and integrators and why those two types of people work so well together (and why partnering with someone is frequently a better idea than trying to change your type)
How any musician can up their progress up to 10x
The two different kinds of expectations and the four reactions we can have to them (really good stuff!)
How Marc discovered the importance of team as he developed Modacity
Why bringing on advisers as teammates can compliment your weaknesses (and how to pitch them)
How he achieves balance in his life (this was a different answer than I’ve ever heard to this question)
Where Marc sees software for musicians going in the future
Want to help the show? Here's a couple of ways you can do that!
1. Help me get to my next goal of $100 per episode on Patreon by pledging as little as $1 per episode to support the show: https://www.patreon.com/tempodcast.
2. My next iTunes goal is 100 ratings and 75 reviews. Take just a minute to leave a rating and review on iTunes to help me get there. Thank you!
And finally, a huge thank you to Parker Mouthpieces for providing the hosting for TEM.
Produced by Andrew Hitz
Show notes for all episodes of TEM including topics discussed, links to all books and websites referenced can be found at: